It was a preliminary round exit for Wincanton Town as they narrowly lost to Western Premier Division side Clevedon Town. 

The first half was dominated by Clevedon Town and without some superb goalkeeping by Jamie Rothwell Clevedon would have gone into half time a few goals up. Despite Clevedon having the more chances, long range efforts at goal by Dan Wise and Elliot Mann gave the Clevedon keeper a test in the first half. The best effort from Wincanton came from a corner when Lewis Voizey just couldn't get the right bit of contact on it as he sliced it up for the keeper to save off the line. However, the half ended goalless at 0-0. 

The second half saw the team from the division above show their worth when two quickfire goals gave them a 2-0 lead on the 55th minute mark. The first goal was a very good finish into the bottom left corner just out of the reach of Jamie Rothwell from the edge of the box. The second was from a corner and all the Clevedon player had to do was make the right contact to ensure it ended up in the back of the net. Despite the setback Wincanton came back at Clevedon and managed to score a goal through Elliot Mann. Some good play forward resulted in Elliot Mann firing home a fierce volley into the net to make the score 2-1 and put Wincanton right back into the game. However, despite their best efforts, nothing was getting by Clevedon's tall centre back who had a very good game and won anything that came towards him. 

So the final score was 2-1 in the favour of Clevedon Town. However, Wincanton could hold their heads high as they gave the Premier Division outfit a good game and challenged them. 

Next up for Wincanton Town is a home fixture against Portishead Town. We would love to see you down at Moor Lane cheering on the boys on what is forecasted to be a very nice evening.

Please reload

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon

© 2017 by Steven D'Arcy. Proudly created with

This is the official website of Wincanton Town Football Club.