Wincanton Town travelled to Chard for an early dose of rivalry, in a game normally reserved for Boxing day and good Friday brought forward this year due to the introduction of Sherborne Town into the division. Wincanton made one change to their lineup against Radstock with Dan Barber coming in for Matt Morley who dropped to the bench. The game started at a fast pace with Chard kicking down the famous steep slope and the wasps finding themselves under a reasonable amount of early pressure with Chard adopting a direct style of play that caused problems for the Wincanton defence. It came as no surprise when Chard took the lead, cutting in from the left and after having a couple of efforts blocked they put the ball into the Wincanton net at Rothwells near post giving him no chance. The game was played in a competitive spirit and ex player Benjani consistently battled with player/assistant manager Gary Chapman in a tussle which ended with Benjani getting a yellow card. The first half largely belonged to Chard and they forced a very good save from keeper Rothwell after another long ball over the top . Wincanton however should have equalised with one of the last kicks of the half, Dan Wise finding Elliot Mann out wide left who cut in and shot from outside the area, this was saved and Tom Morris was unable to find the net, twice being denied by ex player Johnny Hill. So half time ended 1-0 to the hosts with Wincanton due to gain the advantage of the slope in the second half and they certainly made it pay, restricting Chard to no shots on target during the entire latter 45 minutes and having considerably more of the ball. The wasps eventually got their reward for increasing the pressure when a 30 yard ball from Wise was headed down by Gary Chapman into the path of striker Marcus Cook, who with 3 defenders still to beat skipped his way through with amazing footwork and slotted the ball past Hill with class, a top goal for the away side and one that was more than deserved on the balance of play. Wincanton very nearly made it two in two minutes when after more good work by Cook Tom Morris found his low left foot shot tipped around the post. It was now all Wincanton with Chard only really looking dangerous from the incredibly large throw of ex player Andy Holmes and the wasps pressure finally paid off when with around 18 minutes to go substitute Morley, who looked lively when introduced, put in Marcus Cook down the left who beat a defender before executing a fantastic chip over the keeper to make it 2-1. Cook was fantastic throughout and got the bit of luck his work had deserved when a cross put in from the right in the last few minutes dipped over Hill into the far corner to make it 1-3 and give him the hat trick he had earned and putting the three points and big derby day win firmly in the bag! This was a big win the wasps and they move on the Almondsbury at home on Saturday in a 3pm KO. 

Please reload

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon

© 2017 by Steven D'Arcy. Proudly created with

This is the official website of Wincanton Town Football Club.