On a bright but chilly afternoon Wincanton welcomed Portishead to Moor Lane as they looked to continue a fine run of league form as they try to continue up the table.


The game started quietly with both sides trying to get to grips with the conditions and impose themselves on each other with battling congested midfield and only speculative shots being fired at goal. Wincanton managed the first real meaningful effort as a central free kick in the 28th minute from Dan Wise fell to Luke Williams but he could only fire just wide of the post. Portishead began to take control the half hour mark as a corner from the left was cleared to the edge of the box and the striker shot through a crowded penalty area but to only see Jamie Stewart dive to his left to keep the ball out of the net - an excellent save as he was unsighted by the players in front of him. Portishead were now in the ascendancy with Wincanton being forced back into their half and unable to get out. Shots rained in on the goal through some good build up play but there were not too many problems for Jamie Stewart. With the half looming the hosts took an unexpected lead as good work from the the Wincanton midfield led to a corner. Dan Wise took the corner which was superbly headed in by the unmarked Connor Williams. 1-0 at half time.


The second half started much as the first with both sides creating half chances and speculative shots at goal without either side dominating the general play suggesting two evenly matched sides. As the half went on, despite being a goal behind, Portishead took the initiative and started to exert their game plan to good effect as Jamie Stewart had become very busy in goal pulling off some good saves to keep the lead. However with around 20 minutes to go a game of head tennis in the Wincanton box led to the equaliser with Jamie Stewart being unable to do anything about the effort. This seemed to open the game up with both sides having chances to take the lead but both goalkeepers excelled. The Portishead stopper in particular pulled off a very good double save, the second which saw the ball pushed onto the crossbar. In the last minute of the game Portishead had the chance to take all the points as the forward was through on goal but not for the first time Jamie Stewart came to the rescue as he rushed out to the attacker's feet to smother out the opportunity.


So the game finished 1-1 probably a fair result although Portishead will feel a little aggrieved that they created the better opportunities but a lack of composure in front of goal and some outstanding work from Wincanton's Man of the Match Jamie Stewart meant the sides shared the spoils.  


Please reload

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon

© 2017 by Steven D'Arcy. Proudly created with

This is the official website of Wincanton Town Football Club.