The wasps made the the trip to Westbury on a Tuesday night looking to build on a good start to the season where we had taken 5 points from the opening 3 games and remained unbeaten. On Saturday against Ashton & Backwell we gave ourselves the uphill task of coming back from a 2-0 deficit at the half way point and with a superb second half display we were able to turn this into a 4-2 victory, however tonight we once again gave ourselves the same half time struggle and were unable to overturn the scoreline.


Missing the grit of Gary Chapman in midfield and the tireless work effort and goal scoring ability of Connor Williams up front this was a changed side with Andy Holmes coming in at left back, Kieran Davis pushing to left midfield and Matt Morley partnering Saturday's half time substitute co manager Andy Mitchell upfront. We started the better side in the opening 5 minutes and should have been ahead when Morley decided to try and lay the ball off from 8 yards out when surely a strike into the roof of the net would have resulted in a certain goal. After this Westbury started to get a real foothold on the game and took the lead when a free kick from deep was aimed at their big number 9 and Dan Cabell came rushing out of his goal to try and meet it, but this was too far out, the striker got the back of his head to the ball and it looped into an empty net to give the home side the lead. Wincanton were sloppy in possession for the second giving the ball away in midfield before the right winger beat Andy Holmes and squared the ball for his opposite winger to come in unopposed for a tap in and make it 2-0 right on the stroke of half time.


Wincanton came out much stronger second half and had good chances through Davis, Walters, Mitchell and Barber but it was Westbury who were to grab the next goal, slightly against the run of play the ball was put into the wincanton penalty area and Kieran Davis controlled the ball only to then turn into trouble inside his own area and leave the striker with a simple tap in, 3-0. Wincanton got a consolation with around 10 minutes to go, good work from the substitute Dom Mason down the left hand side was converted from close range by fellow sub Matty Peters. After this there were a few more half chances for Wincanton and we put the ball into the box enough to try and grab another but the presence of Connor Williams up front was sorely missed and we looked a little toothless in our efforts.



All in all a disappointing evening similar to last seasons game here which ended 4-1, yet we live to fight another day and move on to Saturday's home encounter with Roman Glass at Moor lane.


Please reload

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon

© 2017 by Steven D'Arcy. Proudly created with

This is the official website of Wincanton Town Football Club.