The opening league game of the season will certainly be a contender for most entertaining game come the end of the season as Wincanton travelled to Bishops Lydeard. 


Wincanton got off to a strong start as they had a few efforts go wide as well as an own goal scare as the Bishops Lydeard defender nearly deflected a cross into the bottom corner. The Bishops were playing their first Toolstation Western League game since being promoted last season and it was the hosts who hit the target first. A superb strike from 30 yards out hit the top right corner to give Bishops Lydeard the lead near the half hour mark. The half was then filled with attacks from both sides but no more goals were scored before the break. The score being Bishops Lydeard 1-0 Wincanton Town.


The second half saw Wincanton come out strong again as they were pushing to find an equaliser. Just after the hour mark Kieran Davis intercepted a pass from 25 yards out before striking low into the bottom right corner to pull it back level. Two minutes later a dangerous ball in from Dan Wise caused the Bishops Lydeard defence problems which they failed to deal with as Neil Craven managed to score as the ball dropped to his feet for a low volley to put Wincanton into a 2-1 lead.


So now Wincanton had the advantage and they had a couple more chances to add to their lead but failed to extend their lead and Bishops Lydeard took advantage as they made the game level once again. Wincanton failed to clear the ball out of danger and  Bishops Lydeard pounced on the opportunity and scored a low volley into the bottom corner. 5 minutes later Wincanton regained the lead again as a good bit of footwork from Iwan Walters gave him space to hit his tight angled shot past the near past to make it 3-2 with just under 10 minutes remaining. 


But the action wasn't finished as the Bishops Lydeard winger was brought down and awarded an injury time penalty. The resulting penalty was slotted right just evading the fingertips of goalkeeper James Stewart but the game was once again level at 3-3. Finally the referee blew his final whistle to bring the entertaining opener to an end. The draw meant that Wincanton would take up 8th position after game 1 but many teams already have games in hand due to Fa Cup fixtures. 


Next up we host Wellington this Tuesday (9th) which will be a 19:30 kick off. Come and Support the boys in their first home league fixture. 



Please reload

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon

© 2017 by Steven D'Arcy. Proudly created with

This is the official website of Wincanton Town Football Club.